You rely on your Maryland heating and air conditioning system all year around to make your home a comfortable place. But you can’t expect a trouble-free service from your HVAC equipment if you’ve never taken care of it. Don’t underestimate the importance of HVAC maintenance. It’s like your car – if you change your oil as recommended by the manufacturer, you are less likely to wake up one morning to a failed motor.
Maintenance Is the Key to Outstanding HVAC Performance
Proper HVAC maintenance comes with many benefits:
- You lower the risk of your HVAC equipment failing when you need it most, such as during a cold winter night.
- You save money on big-ticket repairs, such as expensive part replacements, as system issues are addressed and corrected early on.
- You prolong the life of your unit and delay the need for replacement.
- You save money long-term on your energy bills, because a well-maintained appliance runs more efficiently.
Of course, you are allowed to forego maintenance and simply repair your heating and air conditioning system when it breaks, though we wouldn’t recommend it. You would have to pay more for the urgent service, not to mention living without heat or AC for a few days.
What Exactly Does HVAC Maintenance Include?
HVAC maintenance includes a thorough inspection of your HVAC equipment, depending on the season. Let’s talk about the importance of HVAC maintenance. Here are some of the things our Maryland heating and cooling technicians check for in the summertime and in the winter:
Summer HVAC Maintenance
- Inspection and cleaning of condenser and evaporator coils is performed as necessary. Coils don’t typically require frequent cleaning, but as dust and debris accumulate, cleaning will restore the unit’s efficiency.
- Checking amperage draw of the compressor and blower motor is necessary to ensure all electrical connections are working as expected. A faulty connection may lead to unsafe operation and reduce the life of certain components.
- Oiling moving parts, such as fan motors helps reduce friction, which in turn reduces the amount of energy needed to move a specific part.
- Checking operation temperatures and pressure helps ensure they are in line with manufacturer recommendations. If your unit is overheating, it could be a sign of faulty wiring or other internal issues.
- We also check the coolant level, fix coolant leaks and refill it to recommended levels. It’s typical for a system to lose some refrigerant charge over the years, but if it requires a refill every season, you may have a major leak that has to be fixed before you can restore the charge. If your AC uses Freon coolant, you should know that this substance is controlled by the EPA and is considered hazardous for the environment. The importance of HVAC maintenance involves avoiding system issues that allow this hazardous substance to affect our environment.
- Checking and calibrating the thermostat is important to ensure it communicates correct temperature settings to your AC. We can also upgrade you to a programmable thermostat, so that you could save even more money on energy bills.
Winter HVAC Maintenance
The importance of HVAC maintenance in the winter is all about safety and comfort. Our maintenance checklist for heating systems includes:
- Checking thermostat for calibration and proper communication with the heating equipment.
- Tightening all electrical connections to make sure your unit works properly and doesn’t pose a safety hazard.
- Inspection of all system controls while your furnace runs. This allows us to identify any performance issues and make the necessary repairs to restore good function.
- Inspection of gas connections to ensure safety whenever your gas furnace is in use.
- Examination of heat exchanger. We do this to identify cracks and other malfunctions that could expose you and your family to dangerous carbon monoxide.
- Air filter changes to allow for proper air movement through your system and home, which also improves performance and efficiency.
Simple Maintenance Tasks to Improve HVAC Performance
Some of the most beneficial HVAC maintenance tasks are also the easiest to perform yourself:
- Make sure the outdoor unit is not blocked by debris, vegetation, winter covers or other things. The condenser draws air from the outside, but if it is surrounded by tall weeds, foliage or leftover wood from your deck construction, drawing air will require more power and more energy use.
- Check and replace air handler filter regularly. The filter is meant to clean the returned air before cooling or heating and releasing it back into your home through your supply air ducts. Check it on a monthly basis and write down the date of replacement to keep track of it. This is at the top of the list when it comes to the importance of HVAC maintenance.
Grove Knows the Importance of HVAC Maintenance
Your Maryland heating and air conditioning system has been helping you make your home a comfortable place for years. If you take the time and effort to perform seasonal maintenance, it serves you for many more years to come. Actually, there is not much effort to it – just call Grove Heating & Cooling and we’ll set you up with a convenient maintenance plan. The importance of HVAC maintenance is too much to ignore. All you need to do is be home when our technician pays you a service visit – it’s that easy!